Saturday, February 2, 2013

No-Buy Tips #3

Final Thoughts 

7) Explore Other Interests- I love watching makeup reviews and tutorials, blogging about new products and experimenting with different brands, but the "no-buy" was a great way to take some time away from my shopping (i.e. spending) habit and focus on something else.  My dad purchased me art classes for Christmas, and I have gotten really into painting.  Sure, there are costs associated with that too, but for about $50, I got everything I need to continue painting for at least three or four months.  I really enjoy working on my art and find it is an excellent way to fill the time that would ordinarily be occupied by shopping.  So, whatever passion you have outside of makeup, use your "no-buy" as a time to pursue it.  You can spend time with your dog at a local dog park, volunteer or even exercise.  All of those activities will make you feel good, and they don't cost a single penny!

My (unfinished) art!!!
8) Reward Yourself: Big and Small- This was one of the reasons I was so successful with my "no-buy."  I promised myself that if I stuck to it for January, I could spend $20 on cosmetics at the start of February.  As of February 1, I am the proud owner of 3 Maybelline Vivid lipsticks.  Yay!  I will do a full review on those for you soon.  Now, I am ready to resume my "no-buy" for the rest of the month.  I feel good knowing that I accomplished something in January, and I am very excited about my new purchase.

Since I have decided to continue my "no-buy," I am giving myself a big reward at the end.  I am going to IMATS in NYC!  It is not until the first weekend in April, so I am going to steer clear of cosmetics and clothing for another two months.   Then, when I go to IMATS, I can buy makeup without feeling guilty.  And buy I shall!  I am so excited!!!

Bonus Tip- Have someone hold you accountable.  For me, it was you guys... and my boyfriend.  I didn't want to cheat on my "no-buy" because I would have to tell you, and I would feel bad.  Plus, I would tell him, and he would give me a disapproving look (never fun).  So, whether it is your sister, your best friend, or you beloved cow, Bessie, tell someone what you are planning to do and own up to it if you fall short.  Of course, if you do slip up and buy an eyeshadow, it is not the end of the world or an excuse to end your "no-buy."  You can always return it.  Just get back on the horse!

Have you tried a "no-buy?"  How did it go?  Do you have any tips to add to my list? 

Don't forget to check out the first two posts:

http://thelifeofyouraveragetwenty-something.blogspot.com/2013/01/no-buy-tips-1.html

http://thelifeofyouraveragetwenty-something.blogspot.com/2013/02/no-buy-tips-2.html

Talk Soon,

T.





No comments:

Post a Comment